Getting my Ion Video 2 PC to work

Hi everyone,

I have tried to get my Ion Video 2 PC to work on my Linux computer, but
I was unsuccessful. I'm using Debian with the kernel version
3.16.0-4-amd64. When I connect the device, I can see that it detects a
new audio input as "ION Audio USB 2861 Device: Audio (hw:1,0)", but I
cannot capture audio from it. In Audacity it's completely silent and in
VLC, if I open hw:1,0 without selecting any video source (because none
is detected), then VLC displays tones of error messages saying...

core input error: open of 'v4l2://' failed
v4l2: demux error: cannot open device '/dev/radio0': no such file or
directory
v4l2: access error: cannot open device '/dev/video0': no such file or
directory

To try to fix the problem, I used:
sudo modprobe em28xx
sudo modprobe em28xx card=29
sudo modprobe em28xx card=9

It didn't work. I don't know the good card to use. I know my Ion Video 2
PC uses an Empia chip, the 2861. It is shown in the Windows device
manager and this number comes back when I run the dmesg command.

I have a lot of other recording devices, one of which is a StarTech
device using this same Empia chip (but it's said to be an 2860 in the
instruction manual, though the drivers and the device manager on Windows
recognizes it as a 2861 chip). Once I know how to get each of them to be
recognized by Linux, I'll write a kernel patch.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--Alexandre-Xavier

Here's some info that you may need to help me with the Ion Video 2 PC:

dmesg
[  120.844089] usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[  120.983509] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=eb1a, idProduct=5051
[  120.983526] usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1,
SerialNumber=2
[  120.983534] usb 1-3: Product: ION Audio USB 2861 Device
[  120.983541] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: ION Audio
[  120.983547] usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 0
[  121.182288] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID eb1a:5051 eMPIA Technology, Inc.

lsusb -v
Bus 001 Device 002: ID eb1a:5051 eMPIA Technology, Inc.
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0xeb1a eMPIA Technology, Inc.
   idProduct          0x5051
   bcdDevice            1.00
   iManufacturer           3
   iProduct                1
   iSerial                 2
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength          555
     bNumInterfaces          3
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower              500mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       1
[...]
       bAlternateSetting       2
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0ad4  2x 724 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       3
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0c00  2x 1024 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       4
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x1300  3x 768 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       5
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x135c  3x 860 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       6
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x13c4  3x 964 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       7
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x1400  3x 1024 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               1
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           0
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Control Device
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
         bcdADC               1.00
         wTotalLength           39
         bInCollection           1
         baInterfaceNr( 0)       2
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                12
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             1
         wTerminalType      0x0603 Line Connector
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bNrChannels             2
         wChannelConfig     0x0003
           Left Front (L)
           Right Front (R)
         iChannelNames           0
         iTerminal               0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      6 (FEATURE_UNIT)
         bUnitID                 2
         bSourceID               1
         bControlSize            1
         bmaControls( 0)      0x03
           Mute Control
           Volume Control
         bmaControls( 1)      0x00
         iFeature                0
       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
         bTerminalID             3
         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
         bAssocTerminal          0
         bSourceID               2
         iTerminal               0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           3
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
         tSamFreq[ 0]            0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 9
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
         bInterval               4
         bRefresh                0
         bSynchAddress           0
         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
           bLength                 7
           bDescriptorType        37
           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
           bmAttributes         0x00
           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       1
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
         bTerminalLink           3
         bDelay                  1 frames
         wFormatTag              1 PCM
       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
         bLength                11
         bDescriptorType        36
         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
         bNrChannels             2
         bSubframeSize           2
         bBitResolution         16
         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]