Re: v4l vs. dpdk

On 11/12/2015 07:54 AM, Ran Shalit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope you can assist me on the following debate.
>
> I need to develop a driver/application which capture and output video
> frames from PCIe device , and is using Intel cpu (i7), and Intel's
> media sdk server framework for the video compression.
>
> I am not sure what will be a better choice between the following 2 options:
> 1. application which use dpdk for capture and output to the PCIe device
> 2. v4l driver for the PCIe device
>
> Intel advocate the usage of dpdk (framework for packet processing).
> dpdk is supposed to be able to read/write from PCIe device too.
> I tried to see the prons/cons of dpdk compared to v4l.

Of course they advocate it: it will lock you in to their CPU and their SDK.
V4L2 is platform independent: your PCIe device will work just as well on
other platforms and with any v4l2-aware application.

> prons of dpdk, as I understand them:
> 1. userspace application (easier debugging compared to kernel
> debugging of v4l device driver)

But you probably have to do all the work and you can't use any of the
frameworks v4l2 gives you to simplify driver development.

> 2. supposed better performance

2 is nonsense. Video capture/output is just a matter of setting up the
DMA and feeding it buffers. The CPU is barely involved.

> cons of dpdk compared to v4l:
> 1. I could not find examples for PCIe device usage , or samples for
> showing how application (such as media sdk) use dpdk video frames.

That might be a hint that it is perhaps not the best choice.

On the other hand, asking this on the linux-media mailinglist will
give you a biased answer :-)

Regards,

	Hans