Re: PCIe capture driver

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:50 AM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/27/2015 22:56, Ran Shalit wrote:

>>> The cobalt driver (drivers/media/pci/cobalt) does exactly that: multiple HDMI inputs and an optional HDMI output (through a daughterboard).
>>>
>>> Please note: using V4L2 for an output only makes sense if you will be outputting video, if the goal is to output a graphical desktop then the drm/kms API is much more suitable.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>         Hans
>>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the reference.
>> I see that the cobalt card is not for sale ?  If it was it could help
>> us in our development.
>
> No, sorry. It's a Cisco-internal card only.
>
>> In our case it is more custom design which is based on FPGA:
>>
>> Cpu ---PCIe---- FPGA <<<-->>>     3xHD+3xSD inputs & 1xHD(or SD) output
>>
>> As I understand there is no product chip which can do the above
>> (3xHD+3xSD inputs & 1xHD(or SD) output), that's why the use of FPGA in
>> the board design.
>
> The ivtv driver (drivers/media/pci/ivtv) has SD input and output, so that can be a
> useful reference for that as well. The Hauppauge PVR-350 board is no longer
> sold, but you might be able to pick one up on ebay.
>
> Regards,
>
>         Hans

I've been delving in V4l Wikis,  API,   and the PCI driver examples code.

I think a good starting point for the development will be
v4l2-pci-skeleton.c , becuase it is much simpler than the more
production examples,
do you recommend it as a starting point ?

I am just not sure that the pci skeleton supports the HD & SD channels
at the same time:
I think it will open only one device (for example /dev/video0) , so
that the application will need to select which input is used (not
both) ?

Best Regards,
Ran