RFC: ov5640 kernel driver.

Hi,
we want to a v4l2 driver for the ov5640 sensor from Omnivision.

AFAIK, there was an attempt in the past to mainline that driver [1] but it didn't make it in the end.

Some people were asking for the code for the ov5640 and the ov5642 to be merged [2] as well but IMHO both sensors are not that similar so that it's worth a common driver.

The approach we had in mind so far was creating a new, independent, v4l2-subdev driver for the ov5640 with mbus support.

I've found several sources out there with code for the ov5640 but, surprisingly, few attempts to mainline it. I would whether it is just people didn't take the effort or there was something wrong with the code.

Has anyone got some comments/advices on this before we start coding? Is anyone already working on this and maybe we can collaborate instead of having two forks of the same driver?

Regards,
Javier.

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/470643/
[2] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg69611.html