Re: Call for help: em28xx: new board id [1f4d:1abe]

Em Sun, 06 Sep 2015 18:58:50 -0500
Ronald Tallent <ron@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hey Mauro,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Relieved to know I'm not invisible. =)
>
> I'm a total noob to linux driver issues, so if I'm  posting this in the
> wrong area, please forgive me. I only posted here because this is where
> linuxtv.org said to go to ask for help. Until now all my hardware has
> just worked. So big thanks to all the people who made that happen! But
> this EasyCap board is kind of kicking my butt.
>
> You are correct, when I plug this USB device in video capture device is
> not detected and so does not work. As I understand it, all the drivers
> needed to make this Easycap work in linux already exist and are used by
> various forms of Easycap devices already.
>
> The em2860 USB video bridge chip should be supported by the "em28xx"
> kernel modules, and the Trident SAA7115H chip should be supported by the
> "saa7115" module. My best guess is that the card vendor:product id
> [1f4d:1abe] is simply not "attached" to those drivers or known by those
> drivers so when I plug this USB device in, video drivers are not loaded.
> But my assessment of the situation might be completely off here.
>
> Couple questions...
>
> First, if nobody know what to do with the information I've posted, why
> does linuxtv.org/wiki instruct me to post this information here, exactly
> this way? Not a big issue really, just quite confusing.

Feel free to improve the documentation ;)
Just remember that the documentation there should be generic enough for
people having different boards, specially if you're looking into a
generic section of the Wiki.

> Secondly, if all the drivers already exist, what do I need to do to get
> them to "attach" to my hardware?

Because of two things:

- the USB ID is used to identify the driver that will be used. If
  the driver doesn't know the USB ID, it won't be loaded.

- each hardware is wired on a different way. The saa7113 have 4 different
  video inputs (if I remember correctly). Also, there are several pins used
  on most video hardware called GPIO. They're used to power on and reset the
  other devices. The power on/reset sequence is board-specific.

> Is there some place I can go to learn
> how to do that fairly quickly? Is anyone in this board knowledgeable
> about how that can easily be done? I am competent enough with linux that
> I can perform the steps necessary if I know what those steps are. This
> is new territory for me though.

Wiki is your friend. Also look at other posts on the ML from other
people that had to do the same.