[RFC] V4L2 codecs in user space

Hello All,

I would like to ask for some comments about a plan to use user space video codecs through the V4L interface. I am thinking of a situation similar to the one described on the linuxtv.org wiki at http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/V4L2_Userspace_Library

The basic premise is to use a FUSE-like driver to connect the standard V4L2 api to a user space daemon that will work as an mem-to-mem driver for decoding/encoding, compression/decompression and the like. This allows for codecs that are either partially or wholly implemented in user space to be exposed through the standard kernel interface.

Before I dive in to implementing this I was hoping to get some comments regarding the following:

1. I haven't been able to find any implementation of the design described in the wiki page. Would anyone know if I have missed it? Does this exist somewhere, even in part? It seems like that might be a good place to start if possible.

2. I think that this could be implemented as either an extension to FUSE (like CUSE) or as a V4L2 device driver (that forwards requests through the FUSE API). I think that the V4L2 device driver would be sufficient, but would the fact that there is no specific hardware tied to it be an issue? Should it instead be presented as a more generic device?

3. And of course anything else that comes to mind.

Thank you,
Damian