Re: Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky V2 USB (DVBSKY S960 clone) - Linux driver.

On 05/01/2015 04:57 PM, Steve wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying a direct mail to you as you are associated with this page:

     http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_USB_Devices

I have bought a Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky V2 USB (DVBSKY S960 clone) - but
it doesn't work with my 3.19 kernel, which I'd assumed it would from the
above page.

I've tried asking about the problem in various ways - first to "AskUbuntu":

http://askubuntu.com/questions/613406/absent-frontend0-with-usb-dvbsky-s960-s860-driver-bug

... and, more recently, on the Linux-Media mailing list.  Without
convincing myself that I've contacted the right person/people to give
constructive feedback.

By any chance can you offer me some advice about who it is best to
approach?  (Obviously I'd also be grateful if you can shed any light on
this problem.)

Steve

Hi Steve,

The page actually states "Support in-kernel is expected in Linux kernel 3.18.". Devil's advocate, but it doesn't say it's actually there or guarantees it ever will. At the time it was written, 3.18 wasn't out yet. Looking at your dmesg output however it seems your kernel is aware of the device. (so the patch made it) As for me, I was offered a bargain for another device so I have no S960.

Linux-media mailing list is the right place. (and here we are) A few quick suggestions:

Did you really, really, really get the right firmware and are you absolutely positive it's in the right location and has the right filename? Does dmesg mention the firmware being loaded?

Get/compile the latest v4l-dvb sources. (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers) Maybe it's just a bug that has already been fixed.

Try another program to access the device. But if even lsusb hangs, this is pretty much moot.

Make sure the power supply/device is functioning properly. Try it on another OS to make sure it's not defective.

Try another computer, preferably with another chipset. If your RAM is faulty or you have a funky USB-controller, you can experience strange problems.

Good luck!

Best regards,

P. van Gaans