Re: S_CTRL must be called twice to set volatile controls

Hi Jacek,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:58:20AM +0200, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On 04/29/2015 09:53 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >Hi Jacek,
> >
> >On 04/29/15 09:33, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>After testing my v4l2-flash helpers patch [1] with the recent patches
> >>for v4l2-ctrl.c ([2] and [3]) s_ctrl op isn't called despite setting
> >>the value that should be aligned to the other step than default one.
> >>
> >>This happens for V4L2_CID_FLASH_TORCH_INTENSITY control with
> >>V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_VOLATILE flag.
> >>
> >>The situation improves after setting V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_EXECUTE_ON_WRITE
> >>flag for the control. Is this flag required now for volatile controls
> >>to be writable?
> >
> >Yes, you need that if you want to be able to write to a volatile control.
> >
> >It was added for exactly that purpose.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> >Why is V4L2_CID_FLASH_TORCH_INTENSITY volatile? Volatile typically only
> >makes sense if the hardware itself is modifying the value without the
> >software knowing about it.
>
> This can be the case for the flash LED devices that can reduce torch
> current when battery voltage level falls below predefined threshold.

Can the LED flash actually tell about this, other than reading this through
the faults? I don't know of a LED flash that could do this, so I wonder if
we could make these controls non-volatile, as the reason I originally though
why they were volatile (the V4L2 control framework being more or less just a
front-end) was not a valid one.

I guess this could be done later on on top of the patch you currently have.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ailus@xxxxxx	XMPP: sailus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx