Re: two UVC simultaneous devices impossible?

hi,

your problem is not related to de-facto bandwidth use but with
bandwidth allocation.

The uvc driver follows the uvc specification: The driver selects an
alternate setting for the Isochronous endpoint that  satisfies the
bandwidth requirements for the negotiated video stream. The bandwidth
requirement depends on the stream resolution,rate and format (think
YUV or MJPEG...) and is reported by the camera. This is where the
problem lies: Especially when you select a compressed format (for high
resolutions and rates this is usually the case.), the camera reports a
very conservative estimate on the minimum bandwidth required. This
effectively prohibits multiple streams.

One workaround is to estimate the bandwidth yourself.

For uncompressed streams a quirk exists:
http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/faq/#faq7
For mjpeg stream there is a patch (not written by me) here:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mkassner/10134241/raw/5ea34a0269d5b4bc12ec3ee466238cf82000e29d/mjepg_bandwidth.patch

I would really like to integrate the patch. I think I will do some
writeup and submit a clean version.