Re: em38xx locking question

On 03/10/2015 02:29 PM, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:

> On 03/10/2015 10:26 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> On 03/10/2015 02:18 PM, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
>>> Mauro,
>>>
>>> Function drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-video.c:get_next_buf
>>> (copy pasted below for reference) does not take the list spinlock,
>>> yet it modifies the list. Is that correct?
>>
>> That looks wrong to me. You really need spinlocks here.
>>

> OK, second question then. Is there any way to guarantee the URBs irq handler
> is *not* running, when vb2_ops are called (e.g. stop_streaming)?

That depends on the op. But stop_streaming is the op that is supposed to
turn off the streaming (and thus the irq), so it depends on the order
of how things are done in that function.

> Otherwise, given stop_streaming will return the current buffer to vb2
> (dev->usb_ctl.vid_buf), I believe that will race against the irq handler,
> which is processing it.
>
> It seems that's currently racy as well.

Hmm, the stop_streaming code looks fine at first sight, but I think there
is a race if you start streaming both video and vbi, and then stop streaming
one of the two. I think the code might keep calling get_next_buf() in that
case, even if for that stream the streaming was stopped.

This is a problem anyway: get_next_buf() should do this check at the beginning:

	if (!vb2_start_streaming_called(vb2_queue))
		return NULL;

to prevent it from using buffer before start_streaming was actually called.

Regards,

	Hans