Re: dvb-t scan tables

Hey Brian,

On 01/09/2015 12:22 AM, Brian Burch wrote:
On 08/01/15 13:16, Jonathan McCrohan wrote:
Hi Olliver/Brian/Adam,

On 8 January 2015 09:29:10 GMT+00:00, Olliver Schinagl <oliver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
Because I am basically an ubuntu user, I took the source from the
latest debian unstable repository to generate my patch. I submitted
it
as an ubuntu "bug" so it would be documented and distributed
throughout that particular distribution tree. I felt (perhaps
wrongly)
that submitting directly to the original developers would a) miss the
documentation cascade, and b) might not be committed to the ubuntu
repositories as quickly.
While this might be the fastest way to get a seperated patch into
ubuntu, ideally we'd like to have it as quickly as possible in the main

tree. I'm not sure how quickly or _if at all_ ubuntu sends their table
patches upstream! I would imagine the ubuntu devs keeping the patch
until the patch fails, indicating that it has landed upstream ...

So while faster in ubuntu, it wlll be slower, or not at all everywhere
else :(.

Submitting a bug against dtv-scan-tables to the Debian/Ubuntu bug tracker isn't the worst thing in the world; I maintain the package in Debian and keep it up to date. Ubuntu then syncs the package from Debian. I monitor both bug trackers for bug reports and send any upstream.
There are a LOT of distros that branch off this particular tree. I use
four of them, for example.

In the past I've submitted fixes to the original developers of other
packages, but it has taken months or years to get them pulled into the
distros that matter to me. It is very frustrating to have a fix accepted
but /still/ having to manually patch my own systems to maintain
synchronisation with the main repositories.
Yes, that's the reason why we split off the dtv-scan-tables from the dvb-utils repository, as some of those changes where lingering for ages.

I've been advised by the ubuntu maintenance people that the best way to
close the loop is to start at their end. If the report and the patch are
credible, they usually push it upstream using the best path quite quickly.
While it's an extra step and takes a bit longer, it certainly works ;)

cc-ing me and the linux-media list with dtv-scan-tables in the subject does both ;)

The big difference with normal code patches, and dvb patches is, we more or less rely on the persons in the area to verify the data, there's only very little that can get 'reviewed' as we don't know if the data is right or wrong.

I hope to have a change to au_SunshineCoast quite soon, so I am very
pleased to know that Jonathan will be looking after any changes that
flow along my chosen path.
cc me + ml and it'll happen faster.

I don't think there is a "perfect" solution, but ubuntu/debian bugs
often turn up high on general searches. If a fix exists, it is much
easier to get maintainers of non-debian distros to accept a bug report,
easy for them to pull down the source and then quickly release an update.
also true, I like how tv-headend handles this, they pull the latest git periodically I think.

(Thinks... it is a pity this thread didn't take place on the appropriate
mailing list).
CC-ed the list :)

Best wishes, and thanks for the very useful software!
Technically, it's not software ;)
olliver

Brian

Best to send them directly upstream to linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you can manage it though :-)