Re: cx23885: Add si2165 support for HVR-5500

On 12/21/2014 09:23 PM, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
On 20.12.2014 16:31, Antti Palosaari wrote:
Matthias and Mauro,
Hi Antti,
meanwhile HVR-4400 has been tested by multiple people. And it works
rather good for DVB-T.

My board has only satellite support, no terrestrial nor satellite. Even all those errors, it still creates frontend - and it even likely works, I didn't tested.

But as you likely saw from the messages, it prints any IO errors as registering terrestrial or cable frontend failed, because of missing chips. And module reference counts went wrong as unloading modules is impossible.

so you decided to add that patch, which makes rather big changes for
existing HVR-4400 models, without any testing. I plugged HVR-4400
version that has only DVB-S2 in my machine in order to start finding out
one lockdep issue but what I see is bad HVR-4400.

I checked that all known HVR-4400 and HVR-5500 versions have a
Si2161/Si2165 chip.

I checked your subsystem id 0070:c12a. In windows inf file it is listed
as "Hauppauge WinTV Starburst (Model 121x00, DVB-S2, IR)".
But this subsystem id is also part of the HVR-4400 entry (as is HVR-5500).

So I rechecked the HVR4400 entry.
It points to these subsys ids (plus description from inf file):
* 0070:c108 "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-4400 (Model 121xxx, Hybrid DVB-T/S2, IR)"
* 0070:c138 "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-5500 (Model 121xxx, Hybrid DVB-T/C/S2, IR)"
* 0070:c1f8 "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-5500 (Model 121xxx, Hybrid DVB-T/C/S2, IR)"
* 0070:c12a "Hauppauge WinTV Starburst (Model 121x00, DVB-S2, IR)"

My board is that Starburst. All those others, 4400 and 5500 models, are hybrid containing two receivers. Due to that, Starburst is only one which is broken.

I would also criticize Mauro as he has committed that patch. It should
be obvious for every experienced media developer that this kind of not
trivial change needs some more careful review or testing.

That patch should be done differently, not blindly trying to attach chip
drivers for non-existent chips. I think correct solution is to detect
different HW models somehow, probing or reading from eeprom or so. Then
make 2 profiles, one for boards having both satellite and
terristrial/cable and one for boards having satellite only.

As can be seen above it should be possible to decide by checking the
subsys id.
So having two board entries should be the best solution.
One for HVR-4400/HVR-5500 and the other for the Starburst.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/