Re: Random memory corruption of fe[1]->dvb pointer

On 2014-12-02 11:59, Antti Palosaari wrote:
[...]
So the solution is to change rtl2832.c to the I2C model? And does this
issue only affect the mn8847x drivers ?

It likely affects some other dvb-usb-v2 drivers too. But not af9035 as I fixed it initially there I think.

If this is the case would a patch that does not free the buffer but
leaks the memory be ok ? I can add a todo item and log it in syslog.
That would for sure be better then crashing the subsystem and the driver
is still in staging for a reason.

Maybe yes, but it does not sound absolute any good. I think you will need to set FE pointer NULL after driver is removed.

It is NULL now, that is why it is crashing, or the current code leads to random corruptions.

Then unregister frontend will not call members of that struct anymore, but leak memory?

Well any solution that does not randomly crash the kernel when unloading the module is fine by me. My suggestion is to leak the memory and put a note about it in syslog. But I guess there are only a handful of users of this driver so maybe leave it as it is right now? It must be fixed anyway before the driver is moved out of staging.

regards
Antti

MvH
Benjamin Larsson