Re: strange empia device

Am 31.08.2014 um 17:41 schrieb Lorenzo Marcantonio:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 04:50:08PM +0200, Frank Schäfer wrote:
>> Hmm... could you send us the output of "lsusb -v -d 1b80:e31d ?
> Sure, here is it. However it seems that roxio violated the most sacred
> USB rule (i.e. they use that vid/pid for two different kinds of
> hardware);
What's the other device using this vid:pid and which hardware does it use ?

> in fact even people on Windows have troubles with it (and
> a guaranteed blue screen on Win8, it seems :D)
>
> I already had some experience in reverse engineering a webcam (in fact
> I even 'patched' the 8051 firmware and fully disassembled the win driver
> for one chinese Cypress EZ2 based cam), but that was very painful and
> I don't actually want to repeat the experience :D
There is very likely no need to patch a firmware. ;-)
The big task is the integrated decoder. Makes no fun without a datasheet. :/

> [...]
>         bSourceID               1
>         bControlSize            1
>         bmaControls( 0)      0x03
>           Mute Control
>           Volume Control
>         bmaControls( 1)      0x00
>         bmaControls( 2)      0x00
>         iFeature                0
>       AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                 9
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
>         bTerminalID             3
>         wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
>         bAssocTerminal          0
>         bSourceID               2
>         iTerminal               0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        2
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           0
>       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
>       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       iInterface              0
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        2
>       bAlternateSetting       1
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
>       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       iInterface              0
>       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
>         bTerminalLink           3
>         bDelay                  1 frames
>         wFormatTag              1 PCM
>       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                11
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
>         bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
>         bNrChannels             2
>         bSubframeSize           2
>         bBitResolution         16
>         bSamFreqType            1 Discrete
>         tSamFreq[ 0]        48000
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 9
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
>         bmAttributes            1
>           Transfer Type            Isochronous
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x00c0  1x 192 bytes
>         bInterval               4
>         bRefresh                0
>         bSynchAddress           0
>         AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
>           bLength                 7
>           bDescriptorType        37
>           bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
>           bmAttributes         0x00
>           bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
>           wLockDelay              0 Undefined
> Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
>   bLength                10
>   bDescriptorType         6
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)

Thanks, looks like the other em2980 we have seen (Dazzle Video Capture
USB V1.0).

Regards,
Frank