Re: [RFC v2] [media] v4l2: add V4L2 pixel format array and helper functions

On 08/28/2014 07:32 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 08/28/2014 07:18 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Em Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:40:53 +0200
>> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

>> The big issue is that, afaikt, there's no way to make gcc to order it,
>> so the order would need to be manually ensured. This is challenging, and
>> makes the review process complex if done right.
>>
>> I really don't see any gain on applying such patch. If the concern is
>> just about properly naming the pixel formats, it is a way easier to use
>> some defines for the names, and use the defines.
>
> It's not just the names, also the bit depth etc. Most drivers need that information
> and having it in a central place simplifies driver design. Yes, it slightly
> increases the amount of memory, but that is insignificant compared to the huge
> amount of memory necessary for video buffers. And reducing driver complexity is
> always good since that has always been the main problem with drivers, not memory
> or code performance.

I just want to add that we should try out any core solution with an existing driver
(e.g. saa7134) to see if whatever solution we come up with actually makes drivers
less complex. The saa7134 is from what I've seen fairly representative of most in
that is has additional fields besides the name, fourcc and depth that are driver
specific. So how will that be handled...

Regards,

	Hans