Re: [RFC] Fix interrupted recording with Hauppauge HD-PVR

On 04/08/14 12:07, Ryley Angus wrote:
Hi Kyle.

It may be possible that the delay in acceptable grace periods is due to a
difference in our input AV sources more so than the Hauppauge units
themselves. I'm wondering if it would be useful to control the timeout
period via a module parameter that defaults to 3 seconds perhaps?

As far as the issues with concatenated output, I've just looked at the files
containing a channel change and realized that VLC does show the duration as
0:00. Seeking with a keyboard isn't functional. Seeking with the timeline
and a mouse is fine. Avidemux seems to have trouble editing the file. If I
cut a section from a file that is from a single recording "session" it's
duration is correct, sync is correct and audio properties are correct. I
cannot cut across segments. MPC-HC also has duration issues with the
recording.

If I run the recordings through "ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -I <INPUT> -c:v copy
-c:a copy <OUTPUT>", the resultant file duration is correct in VLC, I can
seek with the keyboard and mouse and editing is perfect with Avidemux. But
would it be better if the device just cleanly stopped recording instead of
automatically resuming? Or, continuing with the module parameters idea,
could we determine whether or not it will automatically restart based off a
module parameter?

I feel bad for not noticing the VLC issues earlier, but I mostly just use
VLC to broadcast the recordings through my home network to client instances
of VLC. This works well, but obviously seeking isn't relevant.

ryley

I doubt that the multiple segment problem can be easily fixed in the hdpvr Linux driver. With the caveat that I'm far away from being an expert on MPEG, TS, and the like, I believe that the HD-PVR encoder generates the timing data into the stream with its origin being defined when the encoder starts the stream. So, if the capture is restarted, the encoder is re-initialized by the HD-PVR firmware and the result is a new origin for the following stream segment.

The only real fix would be in the HD-PVR firmware - which we can't get and is why we have this problem in the first place.

Regardless of this problem, I think the proposed driver patch is a distinct improvement over the current situation. Without the patch, we get truncated recordings. With the patch, we get nearly complete recordings which have skip issues. As you noted, this problem may be fixed with ffmpeg.

Keith