Re: DTV-Scan-tables tarballs not generated properly

On 03/23/2014 03:58 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Em Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:14:13 +0100
Olliver Schinagl <oliver+list@xxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

Hey Mauro,

Hope everything is well.

People have noticed that the tarballs for the dtv-scan-tables aren't
being generated properly. The 'LATEST' appears to be correct, but there
is only one dated one, no new ones. If you have a few minutes, can you
see what's going on?

Fixed. Basically, the logic that were getting the date were after
the command that was moving to the repository. So, it was returning an
empty date. So, the file was always named as:
	dtv-scan-tables-.tar.gz

As dtv-scan-tables-LATEST.tar.gz is actually a link to the produced
file, it was working.

Now, it was properly generated, based on git last commit:
	dtv-scan-tables-2014-03-09-177b522.tar.bz2

The name there matches the latest changeset:
	http://git.linuxtv.org/dtv-scan-tables.git/commit/177b522e4c815d034cfda5d1a084ad074bc373b6

As usual, the produced files are at:
	http://linuxtv.org/downloads/dtv-scan-tables/

Please check it again the day after you add some new commit(s) there,
for us to be sure that everything is working ok. Ah, you should never
rebase the tree, as otherwise the script may fail.
But will 'work' again a commit later? Just wondering how badly it would break ;)

Secondly, I guess we are way past the year marker, how do you feel the
dtv-scan-tables are handled? I hope it is all satisfactory still?

Yes. I would add a few things on a TODO list:

1) Work with major distros for them to have a package for dtv-scan-tables;
I know that debian and fedora allready package them. So that's a good thing, I'll see what I can do with regards to other major distro's (gentoo, arch come to mind)

2) Convert the files to the libdvbv5 format. On libdvbv5 format, all
properties of a DVB channel/transponder are properly represented, as
it uses the same definitions as found at DVBv5 API.

I dunno if you are aware, but the current format is not compatible
with some standards (like ISDB-T). Ok, there are tables there for
ISDB-T, but that relies on the frontend to be able to auto-discover
the properties, because the only thing that it is right there is
the channel frequency.

Even for DVB-T2/S2, there's a new property that is needed to tune
a channel with is not represented with the current format
(DTV_STREAM_ID). Thankfully, afaikt, there aren't many broadcasters
using it.

Of course, in order to preserve backward compat, we should still have
the same format at /usr/share/dvb.

So, my suggestion is to convert the files there to libdvbv5, and
store them at /usr/share/dvbv5. Then, add a Makefile that will
use dvb-format-convert to generate the current contents, and store
them at /usr/share/dvb.

I'll put this on my todo list for this year.

Thanks Mauro!

Olliver

Regards,
Mauro