Re: xc2038/3028 firmware

Hi Devin,

Am 21.03.2014 18:38, schrieb Devin Heitmueller:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I specifically asked for and received permission from
> Xceive/CrestaTech to make the xc5000 firmware freely redistributable.
> They were unwilling to entertain that though for the xc2028/3028 as
> they considered it a long deprecated product.
>
> In order to include firmware blobs in linux-firmware, there needs to
> be an actual license legally permitting redistribution - we don't have
> that for the 2028/3028.
>
> In general CrestaTech have been extremely cooperative with the Linux
> community, especially in recent years.  However in this case they just
> couldn't justify the effort to do the paperwork for a chip that they
> stopped shipping years ago.
>
> Devin
Ok, so you've already asked them for a xc2028/3028 firmware
redistribution permission, but (in opposition to the xc5000) they didn't
grant it ?
Too bad. :-(
The xc2028/3028 is used in so many devices and playing manual firmware
extraction games sucks.
A too big obstacle for many users (if they even find out that their
device isn't working due to missing firmware)...

Regards,
Frank