Re: [RFC 0/4] rc: ir-raw: Add encode, implement NEC encode

On 10 February 2014 11:58, James Hogan <james.hogan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Antti,
>
> On 08/02/14 11:30, Antti Seppälä wrote:
>>> The first patch adds an encode callback to the existing raw ir handler
>>> struct and a helper function to encode a scancode for a given protocol.
>>>

>> The mechanism used here to encode works fine as long as there is only
>> one protocol selected. If there are several which all support encoding
>> then there's no easy way to tell which one will be used to do the
>> actual encoding.
>
> True, I suppose it needs a wakeup_protocol sysfs file for that really (I
> can't imagine a need or method to wake on multiple protocols, a
> demodulating hardware decoder like img-ir can only have one set of
> timings at a time, and a raw hardware decoder like nuvoton would seem
> unlikely to have multiple wake match buffers - and if it did the sysfs
> interface would probably need extending to take multiple
> single-protocol/filter sets anyway).
>
> This should probably be done prior to the new sysfs interface reaching
> mainline, so that userland can always be expected to write the protocol
> prior to the wakeup filter (rather than userland expecting the wake
> protocol to follow the current protocol).

I agree. I think the new sysfs file could pretty much use the existing
show/store_protocols() with the modification that only one protocol
can be active at a time.

>>> Finally for debug purposes patch 4 modifies img-ir-raw to loop back the
>>> encoded data when a filter is altered. Should be pretty easy to apply
>>> similarly to any raw ir driver to try it out.
>>>

>> I believe we have rc-loopback driver for exactly this purpose. Could
>> you use it instead? Also adding the scancode filter to it would
>> demonstrate its usage.
>
> True I could have done, I used img-ir simply out of convenience and
> familiarity :). Would it make sense to generate an input event when
> setting the filter though, or perhaps since the whole point of the
> loopback driver is presumably debug it doesn't matter?

Well the purpose of rc-loopback is to provide means to write scripts
for debugging and the driver already loops tx back to rx. I just
thought that it would fit nicely to loop the encoded filter back as
well. It doesn't really matter though. Maybe some printk of the ir
samples will also suffice.

> To actually add filtering support to loopback would require either:
> * raw-decoder/rc-core level scancode filtering for raw ir drivers
> * OR loopback driver to encode like nuvoton and fuzzy match the IR signals.

Rc-core level scancode filtering shouldn't be too hard to do right? If
such would exist then it would provide a software fallback to other rc
devices where hardware filtering isn't available. I'd love to see the
sysfs filter and filter_mask files to have an effect on my nuvoton too
:)

But maybe we'll first need to try to get the wakeup finished.

-Antti