Re: Support for Empia 2980 video/audio capture chip set

On 17.01.2014 01:11, Keith Lawson wrote:
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:37:44PM +0100, Frank Schäfer wrote:
Am 14.01.2014 01:48, schrieb Keith Lawson:
On 2014-01-12 11:56, Frank Schäfer wrote:

On 09.01.2014 02:02, Keith Lawson wrote:

Hello, I sent the following message to the linux-usb mailing list
and they suggested I try here. I'm trying to get a "Dazzle Video
Capture USB V1.0" video capture card working on a Linux device but
it doesn't
look like the chip set is supported yet. I believe this card is the
next version of the Pinnacle VC100 capture card that worked with the
em28xx kernel module. The hardware vendor that sold the card says that
this device has an Empia 2980 chip set in it so I'm inquiring about
support for that chip set. I'm just wondering about the best
approach for getting the new chip supported in the kernel. Is this
something the
em28xx maintainers would naturally address in time or can I assist
in getting this into the kernel? Here's dmesg from the Debian box
I'm working on: [ 3198.920619] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device
number 5
usingxhci_hcd [ 3198.939394] usb 3-1: New USB device found,
idVendor=1b80,idProduct=e60a [ 3198.939399] usb 3-1: New USB device
strings: Mfr=0, Product=1,SerialNumber=2 [ 3198.939403] usb 3-1:
Product: Dazzle
Video Capture USB Audio Device [ 3198.939405] usb 3-1: SerialNumber:
0 l440:~$ uname -a Linux l440 3.10-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.10.11-1
(2013-09-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux If this isn't the appropriate list to ask
this question please point me in the right direction. Thanks, Keith
The em28xx is indeed the dedicated driver for this device, but it's hard
to say how much work would be necessary to add support for it.
We currently don't support any em29xx chip yet, but in theory it is just
an extended em28xx device.
Whatever that means when it comes to the low level stuff... ;)

What's the best route to get support for this chip added then? Should
I start working on a patch myself or will this just happen during the
course of development of the em28xx module? I'm a developer but
haven't done any kernel hacking so this would likely be a steep
learning curve for me.
Can you create USB-Traces of the Windows driver and send us the output
of "lsusb -v -d 1b80:e60a" for this device ?
That will give us a hint how much work will be needed.
For the USB-trace will the Win7 logman output do or is there a Win7 64-bit utility like usbsnoop I should use?

AFAIK the logman output doesn't contain any transferred data.
SniffUSB would be preferred, but AFAIK it doesn't work with Win 7.
You may also want to try USBPcap (http://desowin.org/usbpcap/), but I don't know if it runs on the 64bit version of Win 7. There are also various commercial USB-Sniffers and some of them are providing a free trial period/version.
In any case we need a readable (text) sniffing output.

Here's the lsusb output:

     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       7
       bNumEndpoints           4
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol    255
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
         bInterval              11
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x1400  3x 1024 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            1
           Transfer Type            Isochronous
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x03ac  1x 940 bytes
         bInterval               1
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x8a  EP 10 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
This endpoint configuration is different from the Empia devices we've seen so far. We have never seen any devices using endpoint address 0x8a and endpoint 0x84 looks strange.
It's hard to say what they are used for.
The current em28xx driver will assume 0x84 is used for DVB, but that makes no sense for this device.

Regards,
Frank