Re: Regression inside omap3isp/resizer

Hi Laurent,

On 12/31/2013 09:51 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.

Now it is my turn to be late.

> On Monday 23 December 2013 22:47:45 Florian Vaussard wrote:
>> On 12/17/2013 11:42 AM, Florian Vaussard wrote:
>>> Hello Laurent,
>>>
>>> I was working on having a functional IOMMU/ISP for 3.14, and had an
>>> issue with an image completely distorted. Comparing with another kernel,
>>> I saw that PRV_HORZ_INFO and PRV_VERT_INFO differed. On the newer
>>> kernel, sph, eph, svl, and slv were all off-by 2, causing my final image
>>> to miss 4 pixels on each line, thus distorting the result.
>>>
>>> Your commit 3fdfedaaa7f243f3347084231c64f6c1be0ba131 '[media] omap3isp:
>>> preview: Lower the crop margins' indeed changes PRV_HORZ_INFO and
>>> PRV_VERT_INFO by removing the if() condition. Reverting it made my image
>>> to be valid again.
>>>
>>> FYI, my pipeline is:
>>>
>>> MT9V032 (SGRBG10 752x480) -> CCDC -> PREVIEW (UYVY 752x480) -> RESIZER
>>> -> out
>>
>> Just an XMAS ping on this :-) Do you have any idea how to solve this
>> without reverting the patch?
>
> The patch indeed changed the preview engine margins, but the change is
> supposed to be handled by applications. As a base for this discussion could
> you please provide the media-ctl -p output before and after applying the patch
> ? You can strip the unrelated media entities out of the output.

Ok, so I understand the rationale behind this patch, but I am a bit
concerned. If this patch requires a change in userspace, this is somehow
breaking the userspace, isn't? For example in my case, I will have to
change my initialization scripts in order to pass the correct resolution
to the pipeline. Most people have probably hard-coded the resolution
into their script / application.

For example, with the current Gumstix Overo, most people are using the
3.6, which is the latest officially supported. I saw a number of them
fighting to get a working pipeline. So when they will update to a 3.10+,
their application will stop working correctly, and a big number of the
users will have a hard time figuring out that they will have to update
the pipeline's configuration to get back an image.

The result of meida-ctl -p in the same with and without the patch
applied, as the same script is calling media-ctl at startup to configure
the pipeline. Stripped-down and ordered (camera -> output) result is
coming below. Obviously the configuration should be updated when the
patch is applied.

Best regards,

Florian

- entity 16: mt9v032 2-005c (1 pad, 1 link)
             type V4L2 subdev subtype Unknown
             device node name /dev/v4l-subdev8
	pad0: Output [SGRBG10 752x480 (1,5)/752x480]
		-> 'OMAP3 ISP CCDC':pad0 [ACTIVE]

- entity 5: OMAP3 ISP CCDC (3 pads, 9 links)
            type V4L2 subdev subtype Unknown
            device node name /dev/v4l-subdev2
	pad0: Input [SGRBG10 752x480]
		<- 'mt9v032 2-005c':pad0 [ACTIVE]
	pad2: Output [SGRBG10 752x479]
		-> 'OMAP3 ISP preview':pad0 [ACTIVE]

- entity 7: OMAP3 ISP preview (2 pads, 4 links)
            type V4L2 subdev subtype Unknown
            device node name /dev/v4l-subdev3
	pad0: Input [SGRBG10 752x479 (10,4)/734x471]
		<- 'OMAP3 ISP CCDC':pad2 [ACTIVE]
	pad1: Output [UYVY 734x471]
		-> 'OMAP3 ISP resizer':pad0 [ACTIVE]

- entity 10: OMAP3 ISP resizer (2 pads, 4 links)
             type V4L2 subdev subtype Unknown
             device node name /dev/v4l-subdev4
	pad0: Input [UYVY 734x471 (0,0)/734x471]
		<- 'OMAP3 ISP preview':pad1 [ACTIVE]
	pad1: Output [UYVY 752x480]
		-> 'OMAP3 ISP resizer output':pad0 [ACTIVE]

- entity 12: OMAP3 ISP resizer output (1 pad, 1 link)
             type Node subtype V4L
             device node name /dev/video6
	pad0: Input
		<- 'OMAP3 ISP resizer':pad1 [ACTIVE]