Re: advice on Easycap dongles and VBI interface..

Hi Andrea and Hans,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 12:53:32PM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > - finally which approach do you suggest for supporting this ancient
> > feature, if feasibiliy tests are ok: - a libusb quick hack? - an
> > implementation of the bindings between user level /dev/vbi and
> > underlying SAA711x routines?
>
> The problem is that I don't believe we have any stk1160 documentation.

I do have the stk1160 chip datasheet. However, it's not publicly
available and I'm not sure I should disclose it (although syntek never
advise me against it). In additio, the datasheet is not very verbose
and the information is scarce and often incomplete.

> And I wonder if the device can support VBI at all.

Apparently it does: at least there's a flag to "enable" VBI mode.

> You are better off choosing devices that already have VBI support: the
> em28xx supports it, so do bt8xx, cx18 and ivtv.

I agree with this. I don't have any VBI source so there's no way I can
work on this (not to mention it's not something lots of users need).
--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering