Re: Handling of VM_IO vma in omap_vout_uservirt_to_phys()

On Friday 18 October 2013 06:41 PM, Jan Kara wrote:
On Fri 18-10-13 14:59:17, Archit Taneja wrote:
Hi,

On Friday 18 October 2013 03:46 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
   Hello,

   I was auditing get_user_pages() users and I've noticed that
omap_vout_uservirt_to_phys() is apparently called for arbitrary address
passed from userspace. If this address is in VM_IO vma, we use
vma->vm_pgoff for mapping the virtual address to a physical address.
However I don't think this is a generally valid computation for arbitrary
VM_IO vma. So do we expect vma to come from a particular source where this
is true? If yes, where do we expect vma comes from? Thanks for
clarification.

I don't know much about this domain, so I might be wrong here.

The function omap_vout_uservirt_to_phys() is used in the mode
'V4L2_MEMORY_USERPTR', to recieve a virtual address from the user.

The driver hardware only works with physically contiguous buffers.
So I'm guessing this vma maps to a buffer mmaped by the user
application by some other device(like a camera or something). This
way, the user doesn't need to copy the buffer between the 2 devices.
I guess the computation works in that case. We don't have any safety
checks for this though.
   OK, so you really expect vma to be setup in a particular way. In
videobuf2 framework this seems to correspond to what
drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-vmalloc.c is doing (although that one is
checking the range is really physically contiguous in
vb2_get_contig_userptr()).

This driver is currenlty using the videobuf() framework, we would
eventually switch to videobuf2(), and hopefully this code shouldn't
even exist then.
   This is good to know but if that isn't happening soon I guess I'll
convert the code somehow because I want to do some changes to the way
get_user_pages() is called.

I think the conversion will take some time.

I don't think we have tested user pointer support on omap_vout for quite a while. Anyway, I can still test to see if the change works fine or not.

Archit