Re: [media-workshop] V2: Agenda for the Edinburgh mini-summit

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> On Tuesday 15 October 2013 11:37:23 Bryan Wu wrote:

>> > The biggest reason why we're not fond of sysfs-based APIs for media
>> > devices is that they can't provide atomicity. There's no way to set
>> > multiple parameters in a single operation.
>> >
>> > We can't get rid of the sysfs LEDs API, but maybe we could have a unified
>> > kernel LED/flash subsystem that would provide both a sysfs-based API to
>> > ensure compatibility with current userspace software and an ioctl-based
>> > API (possibly through V4L2 controls). That way LED/flash devices would be
>> > registered with a single subsystem, and the corresponding drivers won't
>> > have to care about the API exposed to userspace. That would require a
>> > major refactoring of the in- kernel APIs though.
>>
>> I agree this. I'm thinking about expanding the ledtrig-camera.c
>> created by Milo Kim. This trigger will provide flashing and strobing
>> control of a LED device and for sure the LED device driver like
>> drivers/leds/leds-lm355x.c.
>>
>> So we basically can do this:
>> 1. add V4L2 Flash subdev into ledtrig-camera.c. So this trigger driver
>> can provide trigger API to kernel drivers as well as V4L2 Flash API to
>> userspace.
>> 2. add the real flash torch functions into LED device driver like
>> leds-lm355x.c, this driver will still provide sysfs interface and
>> extended flash/torch control sysfs interface as well.
>>
>> I'm not sure about whether we need some change in V4L2 internally. But
>> actually Andrzej Hajda's patchset is quite straightforward, but we
>> just need put those V4L2 Flash API into a LED trigger driver and the
>> real flash/torch operation in a LED device driver.
>
> I believe we should look at both ends of the problem and then try to draft an
> architecture for what goes between, based on what we already have. Those two
> ends are the LED controller chips on one side, and the application needs on
> the other side.

Sound good to me. I will take a look in detail about the architecture.

> Regarding applications, I believe the needs have been captured by our current
> userspace APIs (LED sysfs API, triggers, and V4L2 flash API). Regarding the
> hardware, please have a look at the ADP1653 and AS3645A/LM3555. They're both
> pretty complex chips, and most of their features need to be exposed. Let's
> keep in mind that there can be pretty complex dependencies between the flash
> and torch features.

Actually recently I'm also working V4L2 SoC camera controller driver
for Tegra. We are using some similar LED/Flash chip you mentioned.

> Would you be interesting in writing an architecture proposal ?

Sure, I will do this. And probably post it our before the KS/ELC-E,
then you guys can discuss it during the mini-summit.

> Do you plan to attend KS/ELC-E next week ?

Unfortunately I won't, but I might ask some colleagues to present.

Thanks,
-Bryan