Re: Hauppauge HVR-900 HD and HVR 930C-HD with si2165

On 01.10.2013 08:34, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
On 26.09.2013 16:54, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 25.09.2013 07:50, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
On 17.08.2013 13:30, Ulf wrote:
Hi,

I know the topic Hauppauge HVR-900 HD and HVR 930C-HD with si2165
demodulator was already discussed
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/40982

and
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/46266.

Just for me as a confirmation nobody plans to work on a driver for
si2165.
Is there any chance how to push the development?

Ulf
Hi!

I also bought one of these to find out it is not supported.
But my plan is to try to write a driver for this.
I want to get DVB-C working, but I also have DVB-T and analog reception
available.

My current status is I got it working in windows in qemu and did a usb
snoop.
I also have a second system to test it in windows vista directly on the
hardware.

Current status is documented here.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-930C-HD

Until now I only have a component list summarized from this list.

  * Conexant <http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Conexant> CX231xx
<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Conexant_CX2310x>
  * Silicon Labs

<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Silicon_Labs&action=edit&redlink=1>

    si2165 <http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Silicon_Labs_si2165>
    (Multi-Standard DVB-T and DVB-C Demodulator)
  * NXP TDA18271
<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/NXP/Philips_TDA182xx>
    (silicon tuner IC, most likely i2c-addr: 0x60)
  * eeprom (windows driver reads 1kb, i2c-addr: 0x50)

Is this correct?
Did anyone open his device and can show pictures?

I now need to know which component is at which i2c address.
Windows driver does upload file hcw10mlD.rom of 16kb to device 0x44.

I have opened it. There was similar sandwich PCB than used by rev1
too. So you cannot see all the chip unless you use metal saw to
separate PCBs.

PCB side A:
TDA18271HDC2
16.000 MHz

Si2165-GM
16.000 MHz

PCB side B:
24C02H

regards
Antti

Hi Antti,

thanks for that information.
The only real new information for me is the 16.000MHz xtal value.

Sad to know that the other chips are hidden.
I assigned more i2c addresses to functions, but not yet all (no idea if
more addresses are real, or bad interpretations of snooped data).

I now try to check what already works:
- This is video via composite input.
- Next is to try video via analog input - see I see if the tuner in
general works in this device.

In parallel I try to capture usb in different setups.
1. kvm+tcpdump (using usbmon)
2. usbsnoop on windows vista

Only setup 1 does provide a real list of usb packets.

Matthias, you likely try to do things too complex :) I am not going to comment analog side as I simply has no experience. Missing piece of code from the DTV point of view is only si2165 demod driver.

My technique is to make successful tune one channel and take sniffs. From sniffs I generate C-code register writes (and sometimes reads too) using scripts. Reading that "C-code" is much more visual and easier than looking correct bytes from the raw sniffs. It is essential to find out from the sniffs what are tuner register writes, what are demod register writes and what are for USB-bridge itself. There may be some other chips which are needed to init in order to operate, like in cases I2C bus is connected through analog demodulator to digital demodulator.

Usually it is rather trivial to make skeleton driver from the code generated from sniffs which just shows that single channel sniffs were taken.

I have been looking simple example for "reverse-engineer demodulator driver how-to" blog post, but I haven't found suitable device yet. That was one device I looked, but I given-up as simplest sniff after parsing was over 1MB. Looks like there is multiple firmwares to download and also CX231xx usb protocol generates a lot of I/O => not very good example for simple how-to.

Take a look of that post to see some practical example about sniffing and code generation.
http://blog.palosaari.fi/2013/07/generating-rtl2832u-driver-code.html

regards
Antti

--