Re: What are "Other" video capture settings.

On Thu 26 September 2013 13:04:00 Steve Cookson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Occasionally I see emails suggesting that a video capture card has not
> been configured properly on Linux and that the problems the questioner
> is experiencing is down to this.
>
> I have no idea what this means.

Without knowing the exact error message and hardware they used it's hard
to say what might be going on.

> I usually use a gstreamer command like:
>
> gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv,
> framerate=30 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink
>
> I also tend to specify the source like this:
>
> v4l2-ctrl -d /dev/video0 --set-input=1
>
> To specify S-video or composite if appropriate.
>
> Sometime I set gamma, brightness or contrast in the same way.
>
> What other settings should I be selecting?

Typically the video standard needs to be correct (e.g. PAL vs NTSC),
and the video format produced by the video capture card must be
supported by the application.

Ask them to run 'v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --all', that gives a good
overview of the video settings/capabilities.

> Are there any BIOS settings I should know about?

No, the BIOS is no involved in this.

Regards,

	Hans