Can't get cx23885 IR to work after kernel update.

I have a Hauppauge HVR-1270 tuner card that comes with a IR remote
that seems to have problems with newer kernels.

Under my previous 3.2.0 kernel everything works perfect if I boot the
same system with kernel 3.10.10 the remote doesn't completely work.

It can't be a configuration problem since I am just swapping kernels.
Under 3.2 XBMC gets all the key presses and works like a dream.

Under 3.10 the only response to key presses comes from mode2 which
receives them fine but nothing else. no irw or XBMC response

I have tried other kernels in the past that had the problem so I don't
know exactly when it started. In the past I got tired of Googling and
just left my system working but I would like toget it working more now
for other hardware support in the kernel.

After Google searches I have tried making sure nothing like evdev is
trying for conflicting access but that didn't work and like I say it
has to be in the kernel itself since that is the only thing changed
and I can use the remote again by just choosing the old kernel from
Grub during boot.

I can't find anything in the logs that shows any errors.