Re: stv090x vs stv0900 support

On 07/24/2013 06:39 PM, Chris Lee wrote:
> Im looking for comments on these two modules, they overlap support for
> the same demods. stv0900 supporting stv0900 and stv090x supporting
> stv0900 and stv0903. Ive flipped a few cards from one to the other and
> they function fine. In some ways stv090x is better suited. Its a pain
> supporting two modules that are written differently but do the same
> thing, a fix in one almost always means it has to be implemented in
> the other as well.
I totally agree with you.

> Im not necessarily suggesting dumping stv0900, but Id like to flip a
> few cards that I own over to stv090x just to standardize it. The Prof
> 7301 and Prof 7500.
I did it already for 7301, see here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/28082
but due to 'political' reasons it doesn't went upstream.
For private use i am still using this patch on recent kernels, because
it is working much more stable for my card comparing to stv0900.
I think that moving prof 7500 should be relative easy, i even prepared
a patch for this but I was not able to test it due to lack of hardware.

> Whats everyones thoughts on this? It will cut the number of patch''s
> in half when it comes to these demods. Ive got alot more coming lol :)
Oh yes, you could also take into account another duplicate code:
stb6100_cfg.h used for stv090x
stb6100_proc.h used for stv0900
In my patch I've successfully switched to stb6100_cfg.h.

> Chris
> --

regards,
--