Re: How to express planar formats with mediabus format code?

Hi,

On Tuesday 06 August 2013 17:18:14 Su Jiaquan wrote:
> Hi Guennadi,
>
> Thanks for the reply! Please see my description inline.
>
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Aug 2013, Su Jiaquan wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I know the title looks crazy, but here is our problem:
> >>
> >> In our SoC based ISP, the hardware can be divide to several blocks.
> >> Some blocks can do color space conversion(raw to YUV interleave/planar),
> >> others can do the pixel re-order(interleave/planar/semi-planar
> >> conversion, UV planar switch). We use one subdev to describe each of
> >> them, then came the problem: How can we express the planar formats with
> >> mediabus format code?
> >
> > Could you please explain more exactly what you mean? How are those your
> > blocks connected? How do they exchange data? If they exchange data over a
> > serial bus, then I don't think planar formats make sense, right? Or do
> > your blocks really output planes one after another, reordering data
> > internally? That would be odd... If OTOH your blocks output data to RAM,
> > and the next block takes data from there, then you use V4L2_PIX_FMT_*
> > formats to describe them and any further processing block should be a
> > mem2mem device. Wouldn't this work?
>
> These two hardware blocks are both located inside of ISP, and is connected
> by a hardware data bus.
>
> Actually, there are three blocks inside ISP: One is close to sensor, and can
> do color space conversion(RGB->YUV), we call it IPC; The other two are at
> back end, which are basically DMA Engine, and they are identical. When data
> flow out of IPC, it can go into each one of these DMA Engines and finally
> into RAM. Whether the DMA Engine is turned on/off and the output format can
> be controlled independently. Since they are DMA Engines, they have some
> basic pixel reordering ability(i.e. interleave->planar/semi-planar).
>
> In our H/W design, when we want to get YUV semi-planar format, the IPC
> output should be configured to interleave, and the DMA engine will do the
> interleave->semi-planar job. If we want planar / interleave format, the IPC
> will output planar format directly, DMA engine simply send the data to RAM,
> and don't do any re-order. So in the planar output case, media-bus formats
> can't express the format of the data between IPC and DMA Engine, that's the
> problem we meet.

If the format between the two subdevs is really planar, I don't see any
problem defining a media bus pixel code for it. You will have to properly
document the format of course.

I'm a bit surprised that the IPC could output planar data. It would need to
buffer a whole image to do so, do you need to give it a temporary system RAM
buffer ?

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart