Re: EM28xx - MSI Digivox Trio - almost working.

On 20-06-13 07:14, P. van Gaans wrote:
Hi all,

(device: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/MSI_DigiVox_Trio)

Thanks to the message from Philip Pemberton I was able to try loading
the em28xx driver myself using:

sudo modprobe em28xx card=NUMBER
echo eb1a 2885 | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/em28xx/new_id

Here are the results for NUMBER:

Card=79 (Terratec Cinergy H5): works, less corruption than card=87, just
some blocks every few seconds. Attenuators didn't help.
Card=81 (Hauppauge WinTV HVR 930C): doesn't work, no /dev/dvb adapter
Card=82 (Terratec Cinergy HTC Stick): similar to card=87
Card=85 (PCTV QuatroStick (510e)): constantly producing i2c read errors,
doesn't work
Card=86 (PCTV QuatroStick nano (520e): same
Card=87 (Terratec Cinergy HTC USB XS): stick works and scans channels,
but reception is bugged with corruption. It's like having a DVB-T
antenna that's just not good enough, except this is DVB-C and my signal
is excellent. Attenuators didn't help.
Card=88 (C3 Tech Digital Duo HDTV/SDTV USB): doesn't work, no /dev/dvb
adapter

So with card=79 it's really close to working. What else can I do?

Best regareds,

P. van Gaans

Hi all,

Success!

While I never succeeded in figuring out how the sniffing is supposed to be done (how to get any output from those scripts anyway? how to load the debug module in such away it actually works? run on native linux, or a windows VM on linux, or snoop in windows en run the script on linux? you get the picture) I just noticed a little notice on the DVB-C USB wiki page:

"If you are experiencing problems with USB devices, it may not be the fault of the tuner. For example AMD 700 series chipsets (e.g. 780G) have a problem with USB ports which results in tuners working or partially working or not working at all."

I was actually not even testing on an AMD 700 series but on an AMD 600 series. And a somewhat older kernel, with latest v4l-dvb compiled.

So here's what I did: I took the Digivox Trio, plugged it in an Ivy Bridgy computer with Lubuntu 13.04 (stock kernel, stock v4l-dvb, Lubuntu appears to come with the firmware preloaded), load the em28xx driver as if the Digivox were a Terratec H5 and watched 5 minutes or so, flawless.

I will continue to test and watch some longer programs, but right now it appears it is safe to say the Digivox Trio can be supported by simply treating as an H5.

Best regards,

P. van Gaans