950Q CC Extraction (V4L2/VBI)

Hi all, new to the list, hope this is an appropriate place to ask this.

Quick question:
I can extract NTSC analog closed captions with the Hauppauge 950Q as follows:
1. Run v4l2-ctl -i 1 ## Set input to composite
2. In a test application, open file /dev/video0
3. Read 1 byte from the file
** Note: This seems to be sufficient to "start" the device
** Calling VIDIOC_STREAMON ioctl is *not* sufficient
4. Run: zvbi-ntsc-cc -c -d /dev/vbi0 ## Prints the closed captions
5. Close file handle to /dev/video0 when finished. Device "stops".
My question: Is opening the device and reading 1 byte a good/ok way to
start the device? I'm only interested in closed captions, and want
this to be as small a footprint as possible. I'm worried that this
method may break in future driver versions.

-----

More details:
I'm involved in an automation project where we need to extract CEA-608
Closed Caption data (NTSC/VBI line 21) from an analog (RF and/or
composite) input stream.

I am evaluating the Hauppauge 950Q for this purpose. The one I've
received uses the xc5000c firmware.

I've found I can use mplayer/vlc to configure and start the device,
and zvbi-ntsc-cc to extract the data. But I need to make this as
simple and lightweight as possible (may want this to run with multiple
devices connected, or run on something like a Raspberry Pi). So I
figured out that reading 1 byte works as I detailed above works, just
not sure if this will suddenly break one day.