Re: drivers:media:tuners:fc2580c fix for Asus U3100Mini Plus error while loading driver (-19)

On 02-07-13 00:37, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 07/02/2013 12:03 AM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
On 07/01/13 22:51, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 07/01/2013 11:39 PM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
On 07/01/13 15:26, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
On 01-07-13 15:23, Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 07/01/2013 10:52 AM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
On 01-07-13 08:53, Bogdan Oprea wrote:
this is a fix for this type of error

[18384.579235] usb 6-5: dvb_usb_v2: 'Asus U3100Mini Plus' error
while
[18384.580621] usb 6-5: dvb_usb_v2: 'Asus U3100Mini Plus'
successfully
deinitialized and disconnected

This isn't really a fix, I think i mentioned this on the ML ages
ago,

Argh, I just replied that same. Oliver, do you has that same
device? Is
it working? Could you tweak to see if I2C readings are working at
all?
I have the same device, but mine works normally (though I haven't
checked for ages), I will try it tonight when I'm at home and don't
forget what happens with my current kernel.

Hard to test when it 'just works (tm)' :)

The bad firmware wories me, no clue where that error is from, using:
862604ab3fec0c94f4bf22b4cffd0d89  /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-af9035-02.fw

It means firmware is too short or long what is calculated. I added that
printing to notify users firmware is broken and could cause problems.
Ah, good call, it did get me to re-download it. no clue why it was
broken all of a sudden.

I suspect it is same issue what is with MxL5007t tuners too.
Maybe that kind of fix is needed:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2418471/

Someone should really find out whether or not these are coming with
register read operation with REPEATED START of STOP condition. Attach
hardware sniffer to device tuner I2C bus and look what kind of messages
there is actually.
Well mine works fine, so hard to say. IF you have a buspirate you should
be able to intercept the i2c bus ON the device though :) Good luck
Bogdan, I wish I could help here, but lack the broken hardware.

I have one AF9035 + FC0012 device having similar problems. Unfortunately
I wasn't able to detect I2C bus to take capture using Bus Pirate.
Actually, I have the af9035b (see the picture i uploaded to the wiki)

There seems to be two revisions of AF9035 chips, AF9035A and AF9035B. I
suspect it is newer B version which has these problems. I also visually
compared to A and B versions and I suspect pinout is different.

Could you take USB sniffs from that device? Just install sniffer (like
SniffUSB), tune to channel and stop immediately when there is picture.
FC2580 driver does some register reads, so it should be possible to see
what is correct I2C access format by looking sniffs.
Of my working version? I can try, i'll see if I have time to work with sniffusb, but if I load the driver from linux, won't we already know whats on the USB bus? If you speak of windows, I don't have that.

Here is few good pictures from my problematic AF9035B + FC0012 device.
If someone could say which are FC0012 I2C pins, I could use Pirate to
check (as that device has same problem).
http://blog.palosaari.fi/2013/05/naked-hardware-8-cabletech-urz0185.html

regards
Antti