A few wiki ideas (please comment!)

Hi,

I have a few ideas for the wiki. They go a bit further than fixing a typo, so I'd first like to discuss the ideas before messing up wiki pages and doing lots of unwanted work.

The first is to add a ==Users== section to each device, just above the external links section. For this I already made the following template to use (may need some tweaking, but it's a start):

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Template:Users_who_own_this_device

The idea is primarily that whenever a patch is written for the device or another patch that might influence this device it's easier to find contact details for a few users who are willing to test the patch so they can be contacted directly. Most people don't read every message on the mailing list.

---

The second idea is a bit more complicated and I'm not even sure the wiki is the right place to do it. While searching for support information for various devices, I noticed that I kept stumbling upon abandoned patches, mostly on the mailing list, for devices that are currently unsupported in v4l-dvb. If I really start to dig in, I'm afraid I'll find at least tens of them. Some of those devices are really attractive.

That seems like a waste: we know how the device works, we actually have working code.. But for one reason or another, it's not getting pulled. Maybe the code needs a cleanup. Maybe somebody just forgot to file a pull request. Maybe the code wasn't signed off. AFAIK we currently have no overview of these patches.

The idea is to make a wiki page (suggestions for a page title?) that lists the device, links to the available patch(es) or code and lists the reason why the patch hasn't been pulled yet.

Best regards,

P. van Gaans