Re: [GIT PULL] go7007 firmware updates

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 10:25 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi Ben, David,
>
> The go7007 staging driver has been substantially overhauled for kernel 3.10.
> As part of that process the firmware situation has been improved as well.
>
> While Micronas allowed the firmware to be redistributed, it was never made
> part of linux-firmware. Only the firmwares for the Sensoray S2250 were added
> in the past, but those need the go7007*.bin firmwares as well to work.
>
> This pull request collects all the firmwares necessary to support all the
> go7007 devices into the go7007 directory. With this change the go7007 driver
> will work out-of-the-box starting with kernel 3.10.
[...]

You should not rename files like this.  linux-firmware is not versioned
and needs to be compatible with old and new kernel versions, so far as
possible.

So the filenames in linux-firmware should match whatever the driver has
used up to now.  If the driver has been changed in 3.10-rc to use
different filenames, it's not too late to revert this mistake in the
driver.  But if such a change was made earlier, we'll need to add
symlinks.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.