From: Hans Verkuil [mailto:hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 5:55 AM
To: Phillip Norisez
Cc: linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Media controller versus int device in V4L2

On Wed May 8 2013 17:06:17 Phillip Norisez wrote:
> I have the following question, who or what can help me with some information on the specific differences, from a programming viewpoint, between the "media controller" and "int device" frameworks for V4L2?

v4l2-int-device is deprecated and should never be used. There is only one remaining driver that uses it. Hopefully one day that will be converted as well and the int-device API will disappear.

The int-device API has nothing to do with the media controller. It has been superseded by the v4l2-subdev API.

Reasonably detailed information is available in Documentation/video4linux/v4l2-frameworks.txt
and in the V4L2 Spec (which also contains the Media Controller documentation).

It is not entirely clear to me what you want to achieve, but if you happen to have int-device based drivers then those should be converted to v4l2_subdev based drivers for which there are a ton of examples.

Regards,

	Hans