Re: em28xx: Kernel panic after installing latest linuxtv.org modules

Hi Mauro,

thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to my issue!
> Did it used to work with a previous version? If so, could you please
> bisect to see what patch broke it?
No, it also didn't work with the previous version, but since building the previous version was also a bit of a hassle, I am not so sure I got a clean module.

> I'm not familiar enough with ARM to understand what the above actually means.
> I would be expecting, instead, an error with the trace function stack.
>
> Perhaps you need to enable some things at .config to enable it, or to run
> ./scripts/ksymoops manually to translate the above into something useful.
I only know the ksmoops way. Since I just read that you published a new version, I will try the new version and apply ksmoops there if necessary (hopefully not! :-))

> I heard that using a 2A power adapter would work, but I don't have it
> currently (I'm currently trying to get one). I tested also with an USB
> hub with its own power supply. I found there two issues:
>
> 	- the hub was sending power also to the Rpi, causing problems
> there due to the other power adapter;
>
> 	- the hub I used seemed to interfere at the USB isoc traffic.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that perhaps this is not a driver issue at all,
> but, instead, a problem with em28xx+demod high power consumption and Rpi.
Sad to say, but I am using a 2A USB power adapter already. I also tried to it with a powered hub (yeah, that powered the pi as well - as you mentioned) but same oops-results. There is one other possibility. An RTL8192CU-WiFi-Module is also connected to the pi. Maybe it interferes? I will check that out as well.

> The best way is to test the device first on a x86, to be sure that the
> driver is OK there. Then, you need to properly address the power supply
> needs for RPi. Only after that, check if are there at em28xx anything
> that could be incompatible with arm.
Will do!

Cheers,

Marcel