Re: Fwd: Device no longer handled by em28xx kernel drivers

Em 23-04-2013 12:40, Frank Schäfer escreveu:
(forwarding to the linux-media mailing list) (2nd try)

Am 18.04.2013 21:04, schrieb Michael .:
Hi

I hope you don't mind me contacting you directly.

Issues like this should always be discussed on the linux-media mailing
list, so please CC it in the future.
Neither I'm the em28xx maintainer nor do I know much about issues/things
that happened in the past.

I have a USB device which I was surprised to find is no longer handled
by the driver:

What does "no longer handled" mean ?
What was the last kernel that supported this device ?

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0ccd:0072 TerraTec Electronic GmbH Cinergy Hybrid T

I believe the hardware is em28xx + zl10353 + xc5000 as I can see my
precise hardware being detected by em28xx in dmesg output here:

Yes, according to http://linux.terratec.de/tv_en.html it uses em2882+xc5000.

http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/terratec_cinergy_xs

As I understand there might have been two parallel drivers being
developed.

I never heard of a second driver.

I just wondered if there is any chance of this support being
re-instated for this particular one?
I am surprised to find that a device has gone from supported to
unsupported!

I don't know. The em28xx driver is generally the right driver and it
already supports other devices with the xc5000 tuner.
If support for this device has really been removed a while ago, then
there must have been good reasons...

Mauro, Devin ?

It is hard to discuss without seeing the entire thread.

I don't remember having any USB ID removed from the driver.

In any case, it is likely easy to add support for it. It is just
a matter of capturing the logs from the other driver using
the usbmon interface, and checking for the specific bits needed
to make this device work.

This is described at:
	http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bus_snooping/sniffing

In summary, once compiled v4l2-utils, it should do:

	$ cd contrib/
	$ ./parse_tcpdump_log.pl --pcap |./parse_em28xx.pl

eventually, if the device is not at usbmon1, you may need
to do:

	$ ~/parse_tcpdump_log.pl --list-devices
	usbmon2 ==> Camera (level 1)
	usbmon2 ==> USB2.0 Hub (level 1)

To list where the device is inserted, and then pass the --devices
to capture data on a different interface, like:

$ ./parse_tcpdump_log.pl --device usbmon2 |./parse_em28xx.pl

Regards,
Mauro