Re: [GIT PULL FOR v3.10] Camera sensors patches

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:46:07AM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 22-04-2013 07:03, Mark Brown escreveu:

> >Yes, you understood me perfectly - to a good approximation the matching
> >up should be done by whatever the chip is soldered down to.

> That doesn't make any sense to me. I2C devices can be used anywere,
> as they can be soldered either internally on an USB webcam without
> any regulators or any other platform code on it or could be soldered
> to some platform-specific bus.

If it's running on Linux on a visible I2C bus it ought to be shown as an
I2C bus on Linux and the thing doing that plumbing ought to be worrying
about hooking up anything the driver needs.

> Also, what best describes "soldered" here is the binding between
> an I2C driver and the I2C adapter. The I2C adapter is a platform
> driver on embedded devices, where, on an usual USB camera, it
> is just a USB->I2C bridge.

Sure, but there's no meaningful difference between these things as far
as plumbing things together goes.

> Also, requiring that simple USB cameras to have regulators will
> prevent its usual usage, as non-platform distros don't set config
> REGULATOR, and it shouldn't.

No problem there, the regulator API stubs itself out if it's not
enabled.