Re: [GIT PULL FOR v3.10] Camera sensors patches

Hi Mauro,

On Monday 15 April 2013 09:42:48 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:19:23 +0200 Laurent Pinchart escreveu:

> > 81e096c8ac6a064854c2157e0bf802dc4906678c:

c890926a06339944790c5c265e21e8547aa55e49:

> > > Hmm... It seems ugly to have regulators and clock framework and other
> > > SoC calls inside an i2c driver that can be used by a device that doesn't
> > > have regulators.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what's the best solution for it, so, I'll be adding those
> > > two patches, but it seems that we'll need to restrict the usage of those
> > > calls only if the caller driver is a platform driver.
> >
> > The MT9P031 needs power supplies and a clock on all platforms, regardless
> > of the bridge bus type.
>
> Well, all digital devices require clock and power. If power is either a
> simple electric circuit, a battery or a regulator, that depends on the
> board.
>
> > I suppose the use case that mostly concerns you here is
> > USB webcams
>
> Yes.
>
> > where the power supplies and the clock are controlled automatically by the
> > device.
>
> Or could be not controlled at all. It could be a simple XTAL attached to the
> sensor or a clock signal provided by the bridge obtained from a fixed XTAL,
> and a resistor bridge or a Zenner diode providing the needed power voltage.
>
> > If we ever need to support such a device in the future we can of course
> > revisit the driver then, and one possible solution would be to register
> > fixed voltage regulators and a fixed clock.
>
> That is an overkill: devices were the power supply/xtal clock can't be
> controlled should not require extra software that pretend to control it.

If I'm not mistaken that's however the recommended way on embedded devices at
the moment. I don't have a strong opinion on the subject for now, but this
will need to be at least discussed with core clock and regulator developers.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart