Re: Fw: [patch 02/03 v2] usb hid quirks for Masterkit MA901 usb radio

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Alexey Klimov wrote:

> > indeed your patch breaks Atmega applications which using V-USB
> > (http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html), because 0x16c0, 0x05df are
> > the default Ids of V-USB.
> >
> > Have a look at this FAQ
> >
> > https://github.com/obdev/v-usb/blob/master/usbdrv/USB-ID-FAQ.txt
> >
> > It seems that the Masterkit M901 also uses V-USB.
> >
> > I'm using an IR remote control receiver based on Atmega8 with V-USB. Since
> > Kernel 3.8.2 there is no more hidraw device for my receiver, so I had to
> > change the Device-ID to 0x27d9. I think there are a lot of other V-USB
> > applications with similar problems.
> >
> > Dirk
>
> Exactly. That's why i tried to point it out. Thanks for explaining
> this in simplier words.
>
> It's difficult to answer on top posting emails.
>
> I don't understand one thing about your letter. Did you put
> linux-media kernel list in bcc (hide copy)? Is there any reason for
> this? http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg59714.html
>
> Mauro, Jiri,
> can we revert this patch? If you need any ack or sign from me i'm
> ready to send it.
>
> I can contact people who cares about stable trees and ask them to
> revert this patch from stable trees.
>
> During 3.9-rcX cycle i can try to figure out some fix or additional
> checks for radio-ma901.c driver.

I can revert 0322bd3980 and push it out to Linus for 3.9 still, Ccing
stable.

Or Mauro, as the original patch went in through your tree, are you
handling that?

Also additional work will be needed later to properly detect the
underlying device ... the best thing to do here is to put an entry into
hid_ignore(), similar to what we do for example for Keene FM vs. Logitech
AudioHub.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs