Re: Regarding linux go7007 driver

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:52:00PM -0500, Darrick Burch wrote:
> Kolokh:
>
> I've been doing some work on the go7007 driver in order to make it work
> properly with my device, an ADS DVD XPress DX2.  This device is USB and
> uses the EZ-USB controller using a tw9906 as a video decoder.  There is
> actually a patch floating around which is supposed to make this work and
> I've been able to merge the needed changes in order for the go7007-usb
> driver to detect the device.

Hi, Darrick,
Hans Verkuil start to a massive overhaul of the go7007 driver , so he collect these patches on
http://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/shortlog/refs/heads/go7007

for git use latest:
git remote add hverkuil git://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git
git remote update
git checkout -b go7007 hverkuil/go7007

So, there are last patches applied (including mine).
I hope, what that work will be merged in linux.git branch (when repair will done)

> However, I see that there is a problem with the way the i2c subdevice
> modules are written.  When the go7007 module attempts to register any of
> these subdevices with video4linux, there is a kernel oops since their
> private state structs do not contain v4l2_subdev as a first member.
>
> I see that you had attempted to correct this problem for the tw2804 in
> this patch...
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/staging/media/go7007?id=0982db20aba5fd124bb5942d679d8732478e992a
>
> ..but it was rejected and reverted.  Was there a reason why it was never
> resubmitted?  I see an opportunity to get acquainted with kernel module
> development by fixing the subdevice drivers, but I didn't know if there
> were any existing plans for this module and whether or not my effort would
> be worth it.
>
> Thanks,
> -Darrick
Regards,