AW: omapdss/omap3isp/omapfb: Picture from omap3isp can't recover after a blank/unblank (or overlay disables after resuming)

Hi Tomi,

Tomi Valkeinen wrote on 2013-02-07:

> FIFO underflow means that the DSS hardware wasn't able to fetch enough
> pixel data in time to output them to the panel. Sometimes this happens
> because of plain misconfiguration, but usually it happens because of
> the hardware just can't do things fast enough with the configuration
> the user has set.
>
> In this case I see that you are using VRFB rotation on fb0, and the
> rotation is
> 270 degrees. Rotating the fb is heavy, especially 90 and 270 degrees.
> It may be that when the DSS is resumed, there's a peak in the mem
> usage as DSS suddenly needs to fetch lots of data.
>
> Another issue that could be involved is power management. After the
> DSS is suspended, parts of OMAP may be put to sleep. When the DSS is
> resumed, these parts need to be woken up, and it may be that there's a
> higher mem latency for a short period of time right after resume.
> Which could again cause DSS not getting enough pixel data.
>
> You say the issue doesn't happen if you disable fb0. What happens if
> you disable fb0, blank the screen, then unblank the screen, and after
> that enable fb0 again?

By "disable fb0" do you mean disconnect fb0 from ovl0 or disable ovl0?
I have done both:
http://pastebin.com/Bxm1Z2RY

This works as expected.

Further tests I have done:

Enable fb1/ovl1 and hit some keys on the keyboard to let fb0/ovl0 update in the
background causes a fifo underflow too:
http://pastebin.com/f3JnMLsV

This happens only, if I enable the vrfb (rotate=3). So the whole thing
seems to be a rotation issue. Do you have some hints to trace down
the problem?

> How about if you disable VRFB rotation, either totally, or set the
> rotation to 0 or 180 degrees?

Disable rotation is not an option for me, as we have a "wrong" oriented
portrait display with 480x800 which we must use in landscape mode...

> And you can also tune the PM so that deeper sleep states are prevented.
> I don't remember right away how this is done, though.
>
>  Tomi

Regards,
Florian

P.S.
@Laurent: Do you use your streamer on a headless device? What is your DSS-config?
Do you have a framebuffer-console on fb0?