Re: [QUERY] V4L async api

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Prabhakar Lad wrote:

> Hi Guennadi,
>
> I am working on adding v4l-asyn for capture and display device..
>
> Here is my hw details:--
>  1: The capture device has two subdevs tvp514x @0x5c and tvp514x @0x5d.
>  2: The display device has a one subdev adv7343 @0x2a.
>
> Note:- I have added  async support for all the subdevices and the
> capture and display driver too
>
> Test Case:-
>   1:   I have v4l2_async_notifier_register() for both capture and
> display driver, as of now I have built
>         the subdevices as module. when board is up, I insert the
> tvp514x  subdevices and the capture
>         driver gets intialized (/dev/video0 & /dev/video1) nodes get
> created, now I do insmod on the other
>         subdevice adv7343, the bound callback is called in capture
> driver, but whereas this should have been
>         called in the display driver.

This certainly _should_ not happen. Your subdevice driver should call
v4l2_async_subdev_bound(), which will walk the notifier list and check,
which of them this subdevice matches. I'm afraid you'll have to debug your
set up to see why the wrong notifier matches.

>   2:   When I build the subdevices as part of uImage I hit a crash.
> Attached is the crash log.

The crash happens in v4l2_async_notifier_register() when a newly
registered notifier walks the list of _already_ successfully probed
subdevices. Then I'm not exactly sure where the actual crash happens, one
of the possibilities is if the match_i2c() function is called for an
invalid or unbound i2c device. You'll have to debug this too.

Thanks
Guennadi

>   3:   When I just build and use either the capture/display driver and
> their respective subdevices only every thing works fine.
>
> Regards,
> --Prabhakar

---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.