Re: 3.8.0-rc4+ - Oops on removing WinTV-HVR-1400 expresscard TV Tuner

On 01/24/13 17:02, Chris Clayton wrote:
Hi,

I've today taken delivery of a WinTV-HVR-1400 expresscard TV Tuner and
got an Oops when I removed from the expresscard slot in my laptop. I
will quite understand if the response to this report is "don't do
that!", but in that case, how should one remove one of these cards?

Just to close this down on the linux-media list, the problem was that I was removing the card whilst the driver was running. (I expected to be able to do so because Windows 7 seems to handle it.) The cx23885 driver is not sufficiently robust to handle this sudden removal of the card. I now make sure that the drivers are unloaded before removing the card.

I'll report separately that scandvb finds no dvb-t channels :-(

Chris

I have attached three files:

1. the dmesg output from when I rebooted the machine after the oops. I
have turned debugging on in the dib700p and cx23885 modules via modules
options in /etc/modprobe.d/hvr1400.conf;

2. the .config file for the kernel that oopsed.

3. the text of the oops message. I've typed this up from a photograph of
the screen because the laptop was locked up and there was nothing in the
log files. Apologies for any typos, but I have tried to be careful.

Assuming the answer isn't don't do that, let me know if I can provide
any additional diagnostics, test any patches, etc. Please, however, cc
me as I'm not subscribed.

Chris