Re: Status of the patches under review at LMML (35 patches)

Steinar,

Please see the comments below.

Regards,
Mauro

Em Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:57:26 +0530
Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> > Apr, 1 2012: [05/11] Slightly more friendly debugging output.                       http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/10520  "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Simply a cosmetic patch. Doesn't bring any advantage. Knowing what
>  MMIO address failed doesn't help at all. If you have failures, then you
> will have failures with the entire mapped addresses. So AFAICT, this
> patch doesn't bring any advantage to help in additional debugging either.
>

> > Apr, 1 2012: [06/11] Replace ca_lock by a slightly more general int_stat_lock.      http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/10521  "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> This is actually sleeping in interrupt context. All it does is a cosmetic
> name change and adding a mutex across the IRQ handler, which is
>  not a valid thing to do.
>
> > Apr, 1 2012: [07/11] Fix a ton of SMP-unsafe accesses.                              http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/10523  "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Use of volatile .. I am not sure. It does need a lock someplace, but I am
> not sure whether this patch is doing correctly at all.

True.

Steinar, volatile generally doesn't work in kernel. You should either use
RCU, atomic_t or some locking to protect the data access instead.

--

Cheers,
Mauro