[Q] Querying Y/Gb Average Level in a sensor.

Hi,
ov7670 and ov7675 sensors have the possibility of querying the average
value of the Y/Cb components of the image reading a register. This
could be useful for applications such as calise [1]. This program
grabs frames from a video camera, calculates the average brightness
and then adjusts screen's backlight accordingly.

If the user could query the value of this register t in cameras that
support it we could save a lot of processing effort.

The first idea that came into my mind was to define a new v4l2-ctrl
for this but I'm not sure if it is a common feature in other sensors.
Is it worth it to define a new v4l2-ctrl for this or should I use a
private ctrl instead?

Regards.

[1] http://calise.sourceforge.net/wordpress/

--