Re: [cx231xx] Support for Arm / Omap working at all?

On Thu January 17 2013 08:31:50 Jan Stumpf wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to get an Hauppauge Live Usb 2 video grabber to run on on Omap4 (Gumstix Duovero). I'm using Sakomans omap-3.6 head kernel sources from http://git.sakoman.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linux.git;a=summary . The hardware is successfully detected on the USB host port, the driver loads perfectly including the firmware. With v4l2-ctl --all I can see if thee video signal on the composite port is ok or if the sync is lost, but as soon as I use any v4l2 software (e.g. yavta) to grab some images the driver uses 100% of the cpu, returns the first image and after some seconds I see EPROTO (-71) errors in dmesg. First I get " cx231xx #0: can't change interface 3 alt. no to 0 (err=-71)" and then "UsbInterface::sendCommand, failed with status --71"
>
> I did the following tests:
>
> - checked that all patches I found (e.g from http://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/cx231xx.git) are included in my kernel, including the URB DMA related patches and the timing patches
> - tried the same on an Gumstix Overo (Overo Fire and Overo WarerStorm) on several different header boards.
> - tried older kernels (3.2 and 2.6.32) with rougly the same results or known errors due to missing patches
>
> Unfortunately I can't use other capture devices because the final hardware is custom made with the cx23102 chip :-( I could use an omap3 instead of an omap4, but omap4 is preferred.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Did anybody ever used the cx231xx driver with an omap3 or omap4 successfully?

I'm pretty sure the answer is that you're the first to try it.

> - If yes, could you let me know the kernel version and maybe the config?
> - Any hints what I could try? I'm an expirienced embedded C programmer but I dont have much expirience in USB kernel drivers.

A few months back I was working on improving this driver and I made a number
of fixes that are available in my git tree:

http://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/shortlog/refs/heads/cx231xx

In particular this patch might be relevant:

http://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/commit/7bcf29cf460569c523b15d3c0dfed1397a7b770e

Regards,

	Hans