Re: [ivtv-users] cx18 module causes freeze after kernel upgrade

On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 14:23 -0500, Kyle Lil wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting drivers installed for my Hauppauge HVR-1600
> in recent kernels. In Mythbuntu 12.04, I first tried upgrading to 3.4
> kernel or 3.3 kernel. After installing each of these, I booted into
> the new kernel, then downloaded and built a fresh copy of media_build
> from the git server.

Why?  What is wrong with the cx18 module (and supporting modules) in the
stock 3.4 or 3.3 kernel?

FYI, the ^media_build^ is only a partial rebuild of the sources for the
latest ^media_tree^ kernel, with some backward compatability patches so
things at least compile.  No guarantee that things are going to work.

If you rebuild and install the ^media_tree^ kernel and all the modules,
then you will have the bleeding edge V4L-DVB modules with a vanilla
kernel.  You will not have any security or valued added patches from
Cannonical, but you will have the bleeding edge V4L-DVB modules with
their intended kernel and they shouldn't crash.

>  On reboot, for both kernels, the system would hang. A bunch of trace
> information would scroll by and a hard reboot was required. (I'm not
> really sure how to retrieve that info).

Take a picture with a digital camera and email direct to me:
awalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .  If the "Code" bytes in the photo are not
readable, please transcribe them by hand (there are only 64 of them) and
send them as well.

>  I thought the issue might have been related to using a newer kernel
> than the Ubuntu 12.04 repositories gave me.

Maybe.  I don't know from where media_build is picking up the kernel
headers.

> So I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 (and kernel 3.5.0-21). Unfortunately,
> I'm having the same experience. If I install the media_build tree and
> try "sudo modprobe cx18", the system immediately hangs with no log
> output (that I know how to retrieve - I had tail -f /var/log/messages
> running in a separate terminal window) and again the system hangs
> during boot.

During your experimentation blacklist the cx18 driver
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf .  That way on reboot, you get to
decide when your machine hangs by typing modprobe cx18 manually.

>  The last good working kernel I have with v4l-dvb drivers is 3.2.0-32.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is
> any additional info I can provide (or if there is a different list I
> should be sending to).

Certainly, questions related to media_build should be directed to the
Linux media list: linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .  I don't use the
media_build backward-compatability build system, myself.

Regards,
Andy