RFC run time configuration parameter checks in subdriver

I would like to discuss if there is idea to validate subdriver parameters explicitly at run-time when subdriver module is load.

There is configuration parameters for about every driver like:
* I2C address
* clock frequency

Nowadays, when main driver loads subdriver, it passes those static compile-time parameters to the subdriver, those parameters are not mainly validated at all. That could lead situation device is not working, instead it is will fail with some error, like I/O as I2C address is wrong.

As these parameters are set compile time, this situation affects only developers which are adding support for new hardware.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/