Re: Poor HVR 1600 Video Quality

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Bob Lightfoot <boblfoot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Linux Media Community:
>     I am struggling with what has changed in recent {past 6-9 months} of
> kernel releases as related to the HVR-1600 Tuner Card and Analog Signal
> processing.  I spent the bulk of today going through my video chain
> feeding into the HVR-1600 and tried multiple sources all of which
> provide good video and sound when fed into a Sanyo TV bought in the
> 1990s.  They all produce recordings similar to the attached file.
> It almost looks like noise on the system and I am beginning to suspect
> my card may be hosed on the analog side.  Just looking for any thing I
> may have missed while RTFM and Google.  I'd share a 1 minute sample
> capture but 30.5 mb is too large to attach to a google email and I'm not
> sure where to drop a sample file for others to download and check out.
> It should be noted analog video was fine, but sound was intermittent
> with the kernels and drivers in use back in May.  Now the sound it rock
> solid, but the video has gone noisy.

A few questions,

Which version of the HVR-1600 do you have?  Could you provide the
exact PCI ID, vendor ID, and subsystem ID?

Can you post the 1-minute video to a website where it can be downloaded?

Are you using the coax input?  Composite?  S-video?  If you're using
the coax input, it would be good just as a test for you to try the
s-video input, as that would help rule out various problems that could
be introduced by the tuner and demodulation phases.

Are you capturing MPEG compressed video or raw?  The HVR-1600 supports both.

Are you familiar enough with compiling kernels that you could bisect
this down to a specific commit which introduces the problem?

What application(s) are you testing with?

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com